~French Toast Dumplings…Simmered in Maple Syrup!

Ahh breakfast, the most important meal of the day!  That’s a pretty big title to hold, and not to be taken lightly!  Something that important requires a recipe that can live up to such expectations!  A recipe that’s SO warm, so delicious and so comforting, it deserves to be crowned the day’s most important meal!  Sure there’s eggs and toast, a bowl of cereal..a piece of fruit.  But none of that comes close to anything I would deem “The most important meal of the day!”  That’s a pretty tall order!  :)

Well, until now!  Just think of these hot, gooey and tender dumplings as French Toast unplugged!  With every melt in your mouth bite, you get all of the greatness of French Toast, with over the top, almost too good to be true flavor!  These fluffy, yet tender & soft dumplings are seriously one of the best things I’ve ever put in my mouth!  They’re beyond explanation. In a matter of minutes you can be starting your day with a steaming bowl of the best and most unique French Toast breakfast you’ve ever had..Good Morning!  :)

1 can of Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers Biscuits

1.5 cups Maple Syrup..good quality if possible

1/3 cup Brown Sugar

1 tsp. Nutmeg

1 cup cinnamon Sugar (1 part Sugar to 1/2 part Cinnamon)

A dollop of Mascarpone..optional

In a medium sauce pot add the Maple Syrup and the Brown Sugar..bring up to a simmer

Cut each raw biscuit into fourths and roll each section into a ball

Gently add them into the simmering syrup..in small batches, leaving room for them to puff up..they get puffy!  :)

Cover them and let them simmer until they’ve doubled in size..turning them once, to coat each side of the dumplings evenly in the thick and amazing reduced syrup sauce!

Let them cool

While they’re cooling, mix up the cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg in a bowl..set aside.

Gently toss each dumpling in the Cinnamon/Sugar/Nutmeg mix..for that French Toast crunch!

Pile a few dumplings into your bowl and top them with a scoop of Mascarpone or Sour Cream & a nice drizzle of the reduced Maple Syrup Crack Sauce!  ;)

O my!!  Take a bite of the most soft, tender and incredible version of French Toast you’ll ever have!  ~Enjoy! :)

Share the “like” on facebook..just click right here—> I LIKE OH, BITE IT!  :)

1. Welcome back! Hope you had a great vacation. This dessert looks absolutely delightful… cooked in maple syrup, wow! Where do you get all this inspiration!

2. @Lois..Thank you so much!

@Renee..It was great, thank you! And as far as inspiration goes, I really don’t know..but ideas come to me at the strangest times..LOL! :)

• Amy,
      This looks and sounds absolutely great but I live in Australia and we do not have access to Pillsbury biscuits, what would you suggest we use instead?

• You could mix up you own tea bisuit recipe:
        Stir together:
        2 cups all purpose flour
        4 tsp. baking powder
        1 tsp salt
        blend in
        1/2 shortening
        Add
        1 c. milk
        Roll out and cut up as recipe.

3. spelling error in the last picture’s watermark. looks like a delicious recipe.

4. As soon as I saw this had to try it this morning! I mixed the cinnamon in the brown sugar syrup and cooked per directions. Sprinkled vanilla sugar over the top and immediately put it under the broiler until sugar browned. I used whipped cream cheese and it helped to cut the rich sweetness. This is DELICIOUS! Would be wonderful served over vanilla ice cream while still warm. YUM!!! Thank You :)

5. I just made this for dinner and the kids and husband LoVeD it! The only problem I had was getting the inside of the biscuts fulled cooked.

• The longer they simmer, the firmer they get! So glad you all enjoyed them! :)

6. What are your thoughts on trying this in the slow cooker on high? Would love to bring these to work ready to serve and hot.

• These do require some babysitting. So unless you plan on cooking them start to finish at work, I’d prepare them at home..and then just keep them on low/warm at work where you can stir them now and then to keep them moist..~And people can help themselves. They’re lucky to have you! :)

• What a great idea.

7. Could you make this with regular bread dough, maybe Rhodes rolls? I can’t have pillsbury biscuits, but this sounds great

• I would think that any bread dough would work just fine..either way, it would be fun trying! :)

8. What do you think about doing this in the oven? My daughters turning 2 and i want to do this for her breakfast themed party. I want as little stress as possible with food that morning. Would you roll the dough in the sugar mix, bake and then put syrup over it when its done? What are your thoughts?! thanks for sharing this!

• I think if you want them moist like dumplings, then they sould be simmered or at least baked in liquid. Rolling them in the sugar mix and baking them will be yummy too..but more like biscuits! :)

9. I forgot to ask…. How many people did this serve?

• Well..that all depends on the belly capacity of your family and friends..LOL!

10. Making them right now!

11. Is there a way I could make this using Bisquik instead?

• Possibly, they might turn out a bit more dense..but follow the “biscuit” or “dumpling” directions from Bisquick. Let me know if that works..enjoy! :)

12. all of youre recpices look good i just what to learn how to make some of them

13. This was very yummy, however the medium sized pot that we used didn’t fit all of the biscuit 1/4s, so we had to do it in 2 batches. The problem with that was 1 & 1/2 cups of syrup wasn’t enough for 2 batches, so the 2nd batch turned into a gooey, burnt, uncooked mess. The 1st batch was a definite WIN though!

• Aww..yep, I guess “Medium” is subjective..lol! Well, at least the first batch worked out..glad you enjoyed them! :)

14. Looks delicious, and I just happen to have some biscuits in the fridge. color me happy :o)

15. I saw this recipe on pinterest about 10 minutes ago. I’ve already made the recipe and they turned out DELICIOUS!! Thanks so much for sharing! Would you mind if I shared the recipe on my blog, and I’ll link it back to you?

• Hi Haylee!! I’m thrilled that you enjoyed it! Of course you can share it..thank you! :)

16. Is there anyway you could freeze some for later? If so, how could I reheat them?

• Hmm, I think freezing them would probably change the consistency of the dumplings. However, you don’t have to make the entire container of biscuits..just make them as you need them! :)

17. I tried these this morning and I was a little disappointed. The insides were great but the outsides were like a rock. Very hard to chew. I followed the receipe completely but I’m not.sure what happened.

• I’m so sorry to hear that, I don’t know whythat happened, but it sounds like it may have something to do with the cooking time and possibly the liquid content in your batch! These are really a matter of personal texture and taste, since stoves can vary in heat levels, test them lots as they’re coooking and stop them when they are to your liking! :)

• So how long would you think they have to cook.. I wait til the syrup mixture is bubbling a bit before putting them in,correct?

18. This does sound super yummy, but isn’t french toast, bread dipped into an egg batter, then fried? Did I miss a step in the directions? This would have to be a desert for my kids, no egg = no protein.

• It’s a take on French Toast, inspired by french toast flavors..dessert works too! Enjoy! :)

19. Does it matter how many biscuits I use? I know the Grands biscuits come in a can of 5 and then a bigger can.

20. These were perfect! Easy, cheap, and a great late night snack. Cooked biscuits in syrup sauce for probably 10-15 at the most and they came out perfectly cooked. Rolled them in the cinnamon sugar while still warm but not hot. Regular biscuits did the trick, two small rolls were good enough for three people.

21. I have a question about the directions for making the cinnamon sugar. You say 1 part sugar to 1/2 part cinnamon. That means 1 cup of sugar would have 1/2 cup of cinnamon in it. That’s more than a whole can of cinnamon. Seems awfully strong!

• Forgive my math skills…simply make a Cinnamon/Sugar mix to your liking! :)

22. These were very good. Very sweet, good for a dessert. I would decrease amount of sugar on them and your instructions for the mixture was just fine..3/4 c. sugar and about 1/4 c. cinnamon is how I understood it. I do better if there are a little more instruction and tips on technique. By that I mean…a warning that you can only put in so many biscuits in at a time depending on the size of pan used or else they will not cook properly. The next batch was much better because i didn’t put as many in the pan. And when you say “let cool” you need to explain that if they are not cooled completely the sugar will melt and make a gooey mess. They need to be spread out on a cookie sheet so they are not on top of each other. You did not show a plate/bowl of the finished product except the single on… so i’m not sure if mine came out right or not. Mine looked like a hot mess(a pile of goo)…but tasted good! Thanks. :)

23. Breakfast is called “the most important meal of the day” for health reasons. So it’s funny that you introduce a breakfast in which processed dough is cooked in sugar & syrup, coated in more sugar, with mascarpone and some extra sugar on top! Funny.

• That is subjective..lol! As is the definition of “Breakfast”..many people consider a doughnut, Steak & Eggs or a big bowl of CoCoa Puffs Breakfast (the most important meal of the day). This is no exception, but funny it is. :)

• I don’t think she is suggesting we eat this daily. Lighten up, health police. Life can be so boring is we never have a little treat.

• Yep..fantasty food, all in moderation! Live, love..eat and be happy!

24. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Found it on Pinterest a week or so ago and have made it several times since then. Each time, made it a little differently – with frozen rolls, with white sugar, with cream. Super yummy every time. You even inspired a savory version. For dinner, I sauteed some mushrooms and garlic, added a little flour, then beef broth. Simmered the biscuits for around 10 minutes. Then swirled in some sour cream (think beef stroganoff) after removing from the heat. Tasty!

• Ohhh Heather! That savory version sounds like heaven!!! I’m putting that on my to do list asap! ~Thank you! :)

• Enjoy! As cookie monster would say, this is a “sometimes food”, but I could eat it every day!

25. I just made these for my husband and I for dessert. They turned out perfectly! I used the reduced fat biscuits and light syrup and they still tasted great! I also topped mine with cinnamon cream cheese with apples and raisins, which was also great! I could only eat 2 or 3 because they were so rich. But definitely hit the spot on a cold, winter night! Super easy and delish!!! Thanks for the recipe! Will definitely be making these again! :)

• AWESOME!! Ahhh that Cinnamon Cream Cheese sounds divine, and what a great idea to add raisins..so happy you all enjoyed them! :)

26. Ruined half a dozen dishes trying to make these… syrup mixture turned to rock as it cooled. Couldn’t eat… or get off plates and they’ve been soaking for an hour! I realize I probably cooked too long but they still seemed so doughy! So frustrating!

• I’m so sorry you had such a hard time…something went wrong somewhere! Give it another try and modify it so it works better for you. :)

27. These look amazing! Will have to pin this for later!

28. This looks VERY good! I will have to try this sometime :) Since its not cold anymore I’ll probably make it for dessert. When fall comes it will be breakfast :) Thanks for this recipe!

29. I made these for our Christmas celebration and they are DELICIOUS!!! A BIG HIT! They are even good w/o adding the cinnamon sugar nutmeg at the end. Making these again for Easter and I.CANNOT.WAIT!

• Yay..happy Easter! :)

30. That was the best food images that makes your mouth watery. Just a mere look at it you could say it really look sod delicious. I will try making this one at home and I appreciate the recipe you shared. :D

31. Love the flavor but the cinnamon/sugar coating was just too much sweetness even for this sweet tooth. Apples would be good cooked in the maple syrup sauce, and coat in chopped walnuts rather than sugar, and top with whipped cream!

32. @Amy. I love your response to the “subjective” post as I was thinking the same thing! I think the French toast deconstructed idea was pretty funny! I mean, how healthy is French toast anyway? Sure. There’s an egg in the batter, but how much protein does one get from that? Fairly undetected amounts. Plenty call that breakfast after drowning it in maple syrup. Or you have the “coffee is my breakfast” group. Carry on with your recipes!! People can enjoy them, or not. I think this one sounds divine! Thank you for taking your time to make a tutorial and sharing. <3

33. wish I could get the recipe but the text blacks out everytime I tried to read it and I saw no printet friendly link…

34. My mom made something like this when we were growing up and I did it for my kids and now my grand kids. What we do with ours are-
    1 can biscuits (either grands or the regular kind)
    maple syrup
    1 cube butter (cold)
    approx. 1 cup sugar/ 1/4 cup cinnamon. Mix together.
    In a 9×13 pan, sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon/sugar mixture along the bottom. Cut 1/2 of the butter, cut into small pieces and place on top of the mixture in the pan. Take the biscuits, pull them in half just as if you were going to butter a cooked biscuit, and place them on top of mixture.Spread remaining sugar mixture on top of biscuits, add butter pieces. pour maple syrup on top. Bake @ 425 for approx 15-20 minutes. It will make either 16 or 20 biscuits depending on the type of biscuit you use (grands or the 10 pack of regular). When I pour the syrup on top, I put enough on to almost make the raw biscuits “float”. The syrup thickens and we pour it on top of biscuits…really yummy!

35. The picture where you roll the dumplings on cinnamon mix looks dry, but the fork shows them saucey. Did you top with more syrup? Thanks :)

36. What else could you use in place of Maple my family doesn’t care for it. Does anyone have any othere ideas for this?

• Honey would work..with a little water to thin it out. Or Agave as well. :)

37. This recipe needs to be revised! It doesn’t specify how many dumplings in pan at once and for how long to cook. My batch was a huge disaster! :(

38. Waste of a lot of $. Won’t every make again. Huge put of mush.

1. Friday Favorites | Iowa Girl Eats - [...] indulge: French Toast Dumplings. I cannot imagine how insane these gooey, sweet dumplings taste. Holy [...]
  2. Fun Recipe Finds from Pinterest | The Work at Home Wife - [...] French Toast Dumplings - These are incredibly rich, gooey and delicious.  Even a non milk drinker will want to wash …
  3. French Toast Dumplings Simmered in Maple Syrup | What2Cook - [...] For full directions please visit: Ohbiteit [...]
  4. Friday Fav’s | This, That and the Other Thang - […] wake-me-up: French Toast Dumplings. I cannot imagine how insane these gooey, sweet dumplings taste. Holy […]