~Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers!

I think food is one of the only places in life where it’s ok to change the rules in the middle of the game, for the most part anyway!  These Poppers were a mid-game rule changer for me because I was all ready to bake up a big pan of cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread!  A perfectly yummy, spicy & cheesy pan of Cornbread..SO good, but SO typical!  Then it hit me, H.A.R.D!

And not a moment too soon either, since I was one knife slice away from chopping up a pile of pretty & plump jalapenos into bunches of little pieces!   The voices something inside my head said “instead of slicing up of all those jalapenos and mixing them into the Cornbread batter, how ’bout using those Peppers like little Cornbread Muffin Cups..just to see what would happen?!”  Hmmm…….

I’m so glad that I listened to the ramblings in my head because what happened was incredible..lol!  We ended up with spicy little hand-held, flavor packed poppers, filled with warm, cheesy and tender Cornbread.  As if that wasn’t enough, each bite popped wtih juicy bursts of sweetness from the fresh corn kernels suspended throughout the fluffy Cornbread.  Such a perfect balance to the spicy peppers!

Give this unique Cornbread switch-up a try the next time you’d like to jazz up an otherwise ordinary side dish.  It totally turns plain old cornbread into a fun, two-bite Jalapeno Cornbread Popper experience!  :)

What you’ll need for approx. 24 Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers:

12  Med/Large fresh Jalapenos

1 Box of Cornbread Mix (I used the Honey variety for the sweetness)

1 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar (1 cup for the batter..1/2 cup for sprinkiling)

1 Cup Corn..fresh OR canned is just fine

Slice each jalapeno down the center and carefully remove all the seeds and veins..set aside

In a medium bowl, mix up the Cornbread batter according to the box instructions, add in the Corn and 1 cup of the Cheddar.

Fill each Jalapeno half with some batter!  Eh-hem, don’t over fill them!  ;)

Sprinkle them all with the remaining 1/2 cup of Cheddar.

Place them on a baking rack & sheet pan, bake them at 350 for about 15-20 minutes, or until the Cornbread is firm and cooked through.  They will be puffed and cheesy too!

Let them cool cuz they’re HOT!

Umm, hello..manners!!  Make sure you share them with your friends & family..first!  ;)

Then you can lose control and dig in!  ~Enjoy!  :)

1. what a wonderful recipe, i will try and i hope that it is delicouse thank u so much always ready for new things

2. Omg Those look so good. I will try them soon.

3. Ingenious! Jalapeno cornbread is great stuff but I love it that you took a pause and changed something great to something awesome!!! Can’t wait to make these!

4. What is the size of the box of cornbread…how many ounces etc.???

• A believe it was a standard 15oz. box! :)

5. can’t wait to try these

6. needs bacon

• A great and simple fix! :)

7. Oh my gosh! Those look fabulous! I can’t wait to try these. May have to wait until it gets closer to the holidays but I am so excited about this. I may be the only one to eat them but oh well. MMMMMMM……

8. Looks yummy! May try it with some mexi/fiesta corn!

• I think that would be awesome! with some bacon and it will send it over the top! OR even skip the bacon(yeah right;) ) and use a smoked cheddar instead… I am making these tonight with tacos… cant wait!!!

• Oh yeah..you can never go wrong with Bacon! :)

9. I love it. Instead of making dip I can eat this.

10. I cannot wait to try these at the next get together! I know they will be an instant hit!

11. I would put the cornbread mixture in a plastic Baggie, snip off a corner and pipe the mixture into the Jalepeno shell.

• Great idea!! :)

12. Looks yummy and you are delightful. Fun!

13. great idea. My son loves jalepenos and i know he is going to love these when i make them for him.

• Awesome!! :)

14. Do you use whole kernel or cream corn???

• I used whole kernel..but creamed corn sounds yummy too! :)

15. I made these and they had very little flavor. I was really disappointed!! But the worse part was this was my first time cooking fresh jalapenos and i got “chilie hands”. I was burning for almost 10 hours. If u do make this recipiei recomind some seasoning of some sort and gloves for ur hands!!!

• So sorry to hear that, strange because usually when you put two great tasting things together they taste even greater, make sure to use good quality Cornbread Mix! And yes, gloves are a great idea for sure..japalpenos are HOT! :)

• Taking out the seeds and cooking a jalapeno takes away all of the flavor!

• I’m just not into crunching on a raw, seed filled Jalapeno! ;)

• I had the same thing happen to me years ago. I called poison control and they recommended washing my hands in vinegar. It did the trick.

16. Looks delish!!! What about adding cream cheese?? I will try these, but maybe put a little cream cheese on the jalapeno before adding the cornbread mixture… or maybe in the cornbread mixture… it’s about to get crazy! =)

• YUMMY!!

17. These look yummy! I think I’ll try this with my sweet corn casserole recipe… YUM!

18. the only thing better would be to add some bits of bacon to this recipe! yum!!!

19. Looks yummy. My husband loves the jalapeno poppers with cream cheese, cheese and bacon. Excited for him to try these. My tip on cleaning the seeds out is cut the jalapeno in half and run it under cold water while you are scraping out the seeds, my hands never burn afterwards. :)

20. I was thinking of stuffing them with bacon and cream cheese and then somehow getting that corn bread mixture in top. Go big or go home right?

21. Tried this recipe, and making the cornbread mix (at least the one I used) according to package directions, made a very thin batter that wouldn’t work. Was the liquid reduced?

• I followed the directions on the box…maybe try a different brand! And..you could always add more cheese! ;)

22. Hi, I was SO excited to try these. However, I have to agree with Katie; very little flavor. I used the same cornbread mix as pictured. I think it needs something a little savory. I’m just not sure how to incorporate that into the recipe. Perhaps it is salt that is lacking…..hmmm. The jalapeno was a little soft for my liking, as well. I enjoyed them warm from the oven. Thanks for the recipe!

• I followed the directions on the box of Cornbread! It’s strange that putting them together would render them flavor-less, when they taste great on their own. Maybe you got a bad batch of mix? You can try adding some seasoning and see if that helps a bit! :) Or play around with different flavors of cheese!

• Maybe try pickling the jalapenos first. Use a large pot and bring some apple cider vinegar to a boil, then drop the fresh jalapenos in with some canning salt and turn off the heat and just let them cool before removing from the vinegar. This way you can add some herbs and spices to the pickling mix, maybe some onion or garlic too. After pickling then stuff and bake.

23. Oh, my gosh! Thank you SO much for posting these! We are about to experience our first Fall frosts, and still have many jalapenos on the plants. Perfect timing!

24. to the cooks who need more spice, could be the jalapenos lacked a liitle heat, when buying peppers smell them,they should smell spicy. I also agree to add bacon, its always better with bacon.

25. I changed it up a bit and put a small layer of cream cheese in the bottom of the jalapeno half first… excellent!!!!

• That sounds FABULOUS! :)

26. I was so excited to try these! They looked beautiful coming out of the oven. I have to agree with some of posts. They had very little flavor. They were not even spicy. I was so disappointed.

• Jalapenos are a gamble when it comes to the spice level. I really don’t know what to say about the flavor, if the Cornbread tastes good out of the Pepper, it should taste just as good inside of it..lol! I never altered the flavor of the Cornbread OR the Peppers and don’t know why the simple act of putting them together would render them each flavor-less..?! :)

27. PLEASE wear gloves!!! I had my hands in ice water for about 5 hours after making these.

• Great idea!

• No joke, i acutally burned my whole left side of my face and neck – guessing that the juice from the peppers while i was scraping the seeds/veins out sprayed my face and neck – it’s awful :(

• Yikes Katie..I hope you’re alright! Those darn peppers will definitely getcha! :(

• If you have a tomato corer, use that next time. I just slice the peppers in half long ways and then scrape out the seeds and veins with the corer and it is so easy. You don’t even need to wear gloves.

• I use scissors to cut out the seeds. Then my hands don’t burn.

28. Had to try them. I made four different varieties. I made the plain ones, some I added green chilies, some bacon bits and some I decked up fresh jalapeños. Lookin forward to trying them. Will post results shortly.

29. That’s suppose to be diced up jalapeños. Love that spell check.

30. My favorite was the diced jalapeños. The plain were pretty plain. The green chili and bacon bits were good too. Will definitely make tem again.

• YUMMM!! Now I want some more..LOL!

31. Wow-I can’t wait to make these. I will probably use a tiny amount of ground beef as well.

32. Totally making these tonight. I found this recipe via pinterest, and I can’t wait to get them into the oven. Unfortunately, I wasn’t very smart about the cleaning of the jalapeños… all the juice squirted up and sprayed my ear and neck and face… had to take a break to wash with milk and baking soda. good thing i started early!

thank you for the recipe, and I’ll be sure to link back to you from my blog post!

xo

slow down & savor

33. I did 2 sample batches of these: 1 with the original recipe, and for the 2nd batch I
    added a packet of ranch and some bacon crumbles. Both were delicious, but I definitely recommend trying the ranch and bacon addition! Yummmmy!

• I LOVE the idea of Ranch!! I’m going to do that next time..thank you! :)

34. Mmmm I love ranch

35. add bacon bits or wrap turkey bacon around popper then bake

36. Gonna try this new years day

37. My hubby isn’t the biggest fan of corn. Would is be okay omitting it?

• Of course! :)

38. I made these tonight with some alterations and they are super yummy!!! I always recommend making your own cornbread mix instead of a box and make sure your batter is lumpy not runny. Jalapenos are used to flavor other dishes and can be quite tasteless on their own unless they are fire roasted so I after seeding them, I sprinkled them with salt and pepper prior to stuffing them. This gave them a great flavor. I also avoided overly sweet cornbread as I was looking for a savory flavor. Use a sharp cheddar or a cheese with a sharp flavor. Will most surely make again.

• Excellent!! So glad you enjoyed them! :)

39. Try substituting a pkg of Mexicam Cornbread Mix by Martha White. And some finely chopped green onion tops with add taste too. I use thawed out frozen corn kernels which taste more like corn fresh from the garden. Good luck playing around with the recipe.

• YUMMM..thanks for the suggestion! :)

40. Oh, Wow. These were SOOOO Yummy. I could have eaten the whole batch. I LOVE them. I will certainly make them over and over.

• I made these today for the second time, and they were just as yummy, but a good tip: I discovered that if you put the Cornbread batter into a zip lock bag, then cut one of the bottom corners off, then pipe it into your pepper halves. SO EASY and NEAT and QUICK!!

41. Can’t wait to try these.

42. just made the corn bread popers wow , husband loved them , thank you for sharing !

43. These were WAY WAY spicy. A recipe like this should come with a warning. I’ll sadly have to throw them out :-(

• Unfortunately Jalapenos aren’t sold with a warning…even though they’re very unpredictable. I’m SO sorry you got such a hot batch. Maybe try again and use a Poblano Pepper, they are much more mild! :)

44. I saw these on Google images and knew it was the look I was searching for. I love a pan cornbread with japs and bacon. Using the japs as the mold is just perfect. Read all the comments so I could make my mods for a large cocktail party and here my take.

20 large japs split down the middle and both halfs gets a piece of stem. Gut em but leave some veins and seeds cuz the heat mellows out. safety glasses and gloves

Martha White Sweet cornbread mix. Add one egg and start with 1/2 cup milk. Mixture needs to be heavy batter. Fold together.. don’t beat.. then add crumbled bacon and full cup of Monterey pepper jack. Add milk as needed. Bag it and cut small corner. Pipe small amount and don’t overfill japs. sprinkle additional cheese over em. 420 for 20 minutes.

taste great and the spice is turned down low due to milk and cheese. Wanna kick it up??? add cayenne pepper to taste.

• Absolute perfection..thank you so much! :)

45. I just made these to go with Chili and I had to step out of the kitchen or they would be all gone. Thank you!

46. Someone loves jalapenos like I do lol. I noticed you have several recipes I am eyeballing using jalapenos. I probably go through about 50 a month in my cooking. :) This sounds delish, thanks for sharing!

• Tammy..my soul sister! YES..I adore Jalapenos!! :)

47. The filling was amazing, coked to perfection, very tasty. My jalapeños were not cooked enough, not sure what I did wrong. Do you ever partially cook them before adding the filling? If I would have left them in longer I would have overlooked the cornbread filling.

• That can happen depending on the size of the Pepper. Unfortunately there are so many variables with Jalapenos. If they seen rahter large or even kind of thick you can par-boil them for a minute or two just to give them a head start! :)

48. Definitely trying this!! My husband loves jalapenos and cornbread!! So this is perfect for him! :)He’s not a big fan of corn though, can you really taste the corn or should I leave it out?

• If he’s not a fan, it wouldn’t hurt to leave out the Corn..especially if you want him to do the dishes..lol! :)

49. I used Marie Callender’s cornbread mix. It was very watery, so the batter didn’t want to stay in the peppers. So, I will try another brand of mix next time. And now…I will eat the yummy mess I made!

• Sometimes those messes are the best. :)

50. Made these last night for Easter dinner. Absolutely delicious! We used 13 jalapeños and could have used a few more–but I just overstuffed a few. Still absolutely delicious! We added seeds from a few jalapeños to give it a little kick. Would add more seeds mext time–and will crumble extra crisp bacon on top for some added crunch!

• YAY!! :)

51. These sound delicious! Is there a way to get a printable version of this that isn’t pages long ;) –that just has the recipe and maybe *one* picture? I mean, short of copying and pasting all of the separate parts of instructions, etc…

• Yes..if you hover your cursor over each segment it will give you the option to not print any section you like! :)

52. I love the idea of the PABLANO peppers. Add a little chopped [finely] onion and bell pepper and EXTRA SHARP cheddar cheese and I think you would have a great recipe. Will try this. [And the lady’s suggestion to salt the peppers before stuffing is great. I always do this when stuffing peppers, squash, potatoes, tomatoes —– anything stuffed!!!!

53. What an awesome idea! I’m making these tonight!

54. Those look amazing! Thanks for sharing.

55. I made these the other night, and they were perfect! I’m going to make them all the time! I didn’t use cheese, because my boyfriend’s allergic to milk, but they were still pretty awesome. My boyfriend said he had two hot jalapenos (out of six!), but all of mine were only a tad hot — perfect! Thank you for sharing. I blogged about this recipe over at my blog. Here’s a link: http://liz-makes.blogspot.com/2013/04/liz-makes-jalapeno-cornbread-poppers.html
    I put a link to your blog on the post, so I hope that’s okay. Thanks again!
    Liz

• Yay! That’s great..thank you so much! :)

56. WOW! WOW! and WOW! I am sooooo….. going to make these! Thanks! Your site has become one of my absolute favorites!

57. This is one of my favorite flavor combos, but made in a much cuter way!

58. I have been looking at this recipe for days and finally got the chance to make them today. These were AMAZING! I love eating jalapeno poppers but they are too fattening. These were a much healthier and very delicious alternative! Thanks for sharing!

59. What a perfect recipe for this holiday weekend…full of flavor and heat. Can’t wait to share this with our Cabot Facebook friends!

60. OMG Heading to get the fixings !!!!! This wqll go great with my White Bean Chili ;)

61. Yummy!! I always add Corn, a tablespoon or sugar, bacon, chopped onion, and sharp cheddar to my cornbread mix. I imagine I will do the same, then stuff the peppers. Cornbread is one of those mixes you can do a lot with… fun and sooo awesome delicious!! thank you.

62. I made this today on my charcoal grill (indirect heat). If you love jalapenos, cornbread, and cheese, these are spectacular. I made this first for appetizers and needless to say, they didn’t last long. I used a blended cheese. The smokey flavor from the charcoal blends perfectly with the jalapenos and cornbread.
    Next time I will try with either bacon or sausage in the batter. (not that it needs anything)

They are very flavorful. I think the above posts must have their ingredients messed up.

63. I am making these for fathers day. Thought it might be good to use Mexican corn..I’m hoping it might give them a little more zip. Also planning on leaving some seeds an veins in as our family likes the heat.

64. Just bought fresh Hatch peppers. Will make tonight!!!!!

65. Looking forward to trying these. I’ve been wanting to try something new with my peppers. My husband loves cornbread so I’m sure he will like them. I know I will! Thank you.

66. Awesome treat thanks for the idea!! I followed some of the advise of others and added extras like; roasted garlic, sautéed onions and cilantro and some hot sauce. I also added chive cream cheese as the first layer. I made a dipping sauce of chipotle sour cream…so yummy!!

67. Ok. Just read all thru the comments… Nobody’s concerned about GMOs???
    I saw the pic on facebook and my mouth immediately started to drool. I so want to make these.
    Instead of the packaged cornbread mix (which prob contains GMOs) I would make my cornbread with my own recipe. I’ve managed to find a place on line that sells GMO free corn meal. But is there anywhere that sells GMO free corn? I would soooooo like to make this recipe!

68. This recipe sounds delish! Heading to a annual chili cook off we doing every year with neighbors this weekend, Hubs and I have won 3 years in a row! They added a corn bread challenge, I’m soooo going to make these! I would like to add cream cheese at some point? Should I layer the jalapeño first with cream cheese THEN pour batter? Or add the cream cheese to the batter? Or get over the cream cheese idea and just make as directed?
    Thank you for this GREAT recipe, can’t wait to make! Any tips are appreciated, sooner the better, party is this weekend!

• I’d mix it in with the batter…sounds like fun! :)

• Should I substitute any liquid? Should I just leave the recipe as it is? My thought was that the cream cheese would make it creamier, more substance, and the dairy will kill the burn a little!!!
        Thank you for the quick reply! Sorry for the questions!

• Just add it to the batter…if it gets too loose, add more shredded cheese…lol :)
          Questions always welcome.

• Sounds great, thank you again! I’ll message back after the weekend to let you know how it went over. My husband is knee deep in chili recipes! 3 years in a row now, have to come up with something REALLY special!

69. Oh my gosh! You just blew my mind. Going to make these for Thanksgiving!! Thank you!!

70. Jalapenos can be very unpredictable in there heat level! A safe bet is substituting them with Poblano Peppers, they are always mild! :)

1. Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers | TheNest Blog - [...] those Nesties with a daring palate, check out these jalapeno cornbread poppers we found on Pinterest. Instead of adding …
  2. Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers | Flying on Jess Fuel - [...] (adapted from Oh Bite It) [...]
  3. Friday Favorites | Iowa Girl Eats - [...] the option of ordering this giant-sized print at Kinkos/wherever existed. So cool!Favorite idea: Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers. This recipe is …
  4. Butternut Squash & Bacon Mac & Cheese « Creative Divide - [...] http://www.ohbiteit.com/2012/08/jalapeno-cornbread-poppers.html [...]
  5. DomestiKAITed: Pinterest Club, Assemble! | Kait Smith - [...] Cornbread-stuffed jalapenos, as made by Melissa. Wonderful and not too spicy! [...]
  6. Pinterest Friday! « Cooking at Carolyn's - [...] really blew that one! So yesterday, after browsing Pinterest, we settled on Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa, Cornbread Stuffed Jalapenos, and …
  7. Cornbread Stuffed Taco Peppers - Mommy's Sweet Confessions - [...] for dinner.  Through some stroke of luck a few days ago though, I came across a recipe for Jalapeno …
  8. Super Bowl! – happynewlear - [...] from  www.ohbiteit.com (check out her recipe here and below) [...]
  9. Cooking Adventures and Cornbread - Mymsn5 Today - [...] of all, this appetizer involved jalapenos. Which meant I needed to seed and de-vein 10 jalapenos with one hand …
  10. Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers - [...] These look AMAZING! You can find the recipe and step-by-step instructions over at Oh Bite It! [...]
  11. Cornbread Jalapeño Poppers Food Pix | Recipe by Picture - [...] Recipe and Instructions [...]
  12. Garden Party | SuburbaCity Girl - [...] Jalepeno Cornbread [...]
  13. Menu Monday with Cornbread Stuffed Jalapeños | So Very Domestic - [...] Cornbread Stuffed Jalapeños via Oh, Bite It! [...]
  14. 31 Fearless Ways To Stuff A Jalapeño Chile - XnY DIY Tutorials - […] recipebyphoto.com / Via ohbiteit.com […]
  15. Weight for it Wednesday: Because All Great Things Take Time {Week Eleven} - […] of my favorite finds are these Stuffed Jalapenos over at Oh Bite It. These are stuffed with cornbread, but …
  16. JALAPENO CORNBREAD POPPERS - […] MAKE IT > http://www.ohbiteit.com/2012/08/jalapeno-cornbread-poppers.html […]
  17. Super Bowl 2014! | On the Shoulders of Giants - […] chili with plenty of cheddar cheese and Fritos.  I wish I had planned ahead enough to make these Jalapeno …
  18. I’m about to get jalapeno business! | I'm Gonna Cook That! - […] wish I could claim all the credit for this genius invention, but I actually got the idea from Oh …
  19. 10 Ways to Spice Up Your Summer BBQ | MyBargainBuddy.com Bargains, Online Clearance, Free Shipping and Coupon Codes - […] Image: OhBiteIt.com […]
  20. Jalapeño Cornbread Poppers (High Altitude Baking) | The Wimpy Vegetarian - […] adapted these from Oh Bite It, which used a box recipe for the […]
  21. 10 Ways to Spice Up Your Summer BBQ | MyBargainBuddy.com Bargains, Online Clearance, Free Shipping and Coupon Codes - […] I love making cornbread with cheese and jalapenos. The only problem? Too much cornbread and not enough jalapeno! Enter …
  22. 31 Ways to Stuff a Jalapeno - […] 6. With cornbread batter, corn, and cheddar cheese. […]
  23. Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers Super Recipes! | Recipes - […] Image Source – Recipes Source […]