~Bacon Brittle!

20.3K Flares Twitter 35 Facebook 5.1K Google+ 26 Pin It Share 15K StumbleUpon 90 LinkedIn 0 Email -- Filament.io Made with Flare More Info'> 20.3K Flares ×

Move on over Peanuts..Bacon is in the house!

Ohh yeah..now this is a snack marriage made in sweet & salty Bacon heaven!

That’s right, Salty, Smoky, Candied Slabs of Crispy Bacon suspended in sweet & crunchy Brittle!  What a fun way to change things up and give people something to talk about.  I gave slabs of this Brittle out as holiday treats to friends and neighbors, wrapped with a tiny hammer for silly smashing and they went Bacon BONKERS!  :)

9×13″ Baking Sheet

Room Temp Butter, just to coat the Baking Sheet

1 1/2 cups Sugar

1/2 cup Light Corn Syrup

3/4 cup cold Water

Pinch of Salt

1 lb Crispy and Crumbled Bacon

1 tsp. Vanilla Extract

1 tsp. Baking Soda

A hammer!

Brush a 9×13″ Baking Sheet with butter and set aside.

Combine the Sugar, Corn Syrup, Water and Salt in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the  sugar has dissolved.  Cook, swirling occasionally, until mixture reaches the softball stage on a candy thermometer (238 degrees).  Stir in the crispy and crumbled Bacon, continue to cook, stirring often so the Bacon doiean’t burn, until the mixture is amber in color!

Carefully stir in the Vanilla and Baking Soda.  The mixture will foam up in the pan.

Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and quickly spread it evenly.  Set aside until it’s completely cool.

Gather everyone around and take turns breaking the Brittle into pieces with a hammer.  Giggle, Eat..Repeat! ~Enjoy!

1. Been doing this for a long time, However I make it a toffee base and before it fully hardens I cut it into small squares and dip each peice into milk and semi sweet chocklate.. YUM.. to say the least,, Going to do yours this weekend…

• How did this compare to yours? My husband is a toffee fan, wondering if you could share your recipe too?

• What is your recipe, that sounds delicious!

2. Best thing I have seen in a very long time, and I read a LOT of blogs. I cannot wait to try this! How does a person get on your Christmas list? :)

3. I can’t help it….I’m going to have to give this a try….but I do have a question. I make “regular” peanut brittle, and I’m happy with my results. I’m a confident cook and candy maker. I read carefully the steps and recipe, but you don’t say clearly on the recipe, do you cook the sugar syrup to 300 degrees as you would for regular peanut brittle? My regular “brittle” recipe includes putting in butter and peanuts where yours tells me to add in the bacon, then continue cooking (in order to roast the raw peanuts) until it reaches hard crack stage at 300, then add in the vanilla and soda. Is it safe to assume to follow suit on this recipe? I’m so curious, I can’t wait to give this a whirl!

• To be honest, this is the only recipe I’ve used for Brittle. If it’s a variation to this recipe of any kind, I wouldn’t be able to promise what the end result would be. Experimenting can be fun though..good luck! :)

• I tried this yesterday and the sugar was not done enough. Had to repeat, cooking till 311 degrees for final cook.

4. Damn! you crazy! Looks like my Sunday just got busier. Good thing I held back on the sweet stuff over the holidays.

5. Gotta try this

6. was wondering how this keeps and for how long? do you have to keep it in the refrigerator? thanks!

• It lasted about a week in our house in a Zip-Lock baggie just fine. Much past that, I’d probably keep it in the fridge for a few more days and be sure to eat it up. :)

7. does this freeze well?

• I’ve never tried it, but I think it would do just fine!

8. I must try this one my daughter loves anything with bacon she will love this ..thanks

9. I’m thinking this just screams a valentines day guy gift!

10. My My MY this is JUST OUT THERE W/SATURN MARS PLUTO! I made if for the Oscars’
    Home night shwing, and IT was the very 1st thing GONE, w?not onky MANY REQUESTS for MORE, but some of my guest were even:went LOOKING for more,IN My Oven, My Pantry, they just couldn’t-wouldn’r accept that i had put it all out!(one thing I must admit though, My hubby did ask me later if I had ‘Saved’ him some. left some behind for him…w/I was sad to admit that I hadn’t..so I made another batch
    later,…AFTER…HE WENT To THE 24hr. STORE for MORE SMOKEY BACON!!!

11. Baking Soda or Baking Powder for this recipe?

12. Where did you get the hammers? I love the idea of gifting the candy with the adorable hammers :-)

• Just a hardware store….so cute to give as gifts! :)

13. I’m definitely going to try this. It would have been nice to be able to print just the recipe without all the pictures using up so much ink. I didn’t really need so many pictures. :(

• Simply check the box at the top of the print page that says “remove images”. :)

14. Can I make this with peanuts and bacon?

15. This looks AWESOME! Gotta try it. Just one question though…..does the bacon get soft or chewy, or does it stay crisp?

• It kind of takes on the consistency of the brittle…if that makes sense!? :)

16. Oh, a couple of more questions…..(1) WHERE DID YOU GET THAT HAMMER? I love it!, and (2) Is there a way that I can print this? I have tried using the PRINT/PDF tab above and it is not working for me.

• I got it at a hardware store…lol! :) to print, just click on the “remove images” box at the top of the print page. :)

17. I would like to make this for a friend that is allergic to peanuts, but she is also allergic to all corn products. Is there something that I could substitute for the corn syrup that would produce similar results?

• you could try rice syrupand if that doesnt work i think adding more sugar and water would work perhaps worth experimenting with

18. Just finished my first attempt. Notes to others – thick cut bacon doesn’t work as well, the meatiness is a little weird in the candy, the crispy pieces were much better. I also pulled off a little early, so I have more of a bacon caramel. :-\

19. What do I do if I followed direstions to a T and it is gooooo!?? Do I refrigerate or can I bring back to a boil in the oven?

• Brittle is tricky! I’ve gone thru batches that were made exactly the same and had totally different results…climate that day, the mood of the sugar..lol, all have some strange effects on the end result.

• this isnt a candy to be made when it rains, or in humid weather.

20. I never use a temp gauge. I have always used the tried and true drop method ( drop into water) until it reaches that brittle sucker stage.. I am going to try this for a sale item at a peanut festival. At the festival fireman are the only one who have the rights to sale peanuts…. But I bet the bacon brittle will go over well.

21. 1 question. Have you tried to make this into rounds? If I spoon it out I know normal sugar candy will make a round.. I need to make them this way in order to sale it at a festival. I know some older women in my community us metal pie pans to pour theirs in so it will be perfectly round, but I need to make them smaller than that just in case they do not go over well….

• Try a mini silicone baking pan. It has small, round holes and anothing sticks~I don’t have one, but I know other bloggers love them! Google them. Hope that helps!:)

22. Before it hardens sprinkle with chocolate chips, cover with another pan for about 5min until the chips melt. Spread them on top of the brittle, put in fridge to harden then break. No need for dipping.

23. Just wasted a pound of perfectly good bacon on your pathetic excuse for a recipe!

• It’s a time tested brittle recipe from good housekeeping, with bacon in it…what went wrong?