Now that summer is over, it’s time to crack down on our healthy eating habits, as we prepare for (move past) the deliciously over-indulgent holiday season and the damage control mind-set of the post holiday season! I had the pleasure or recreating a delicious and healthy recipe made possible by Nakano Rice Vinegar!
The flavorful addition of Nakano was beyond compare and you can taste the quality in every bite! It adds such a crisp, fresh flavor to the dish, and the variety of flavor options is huge, so you can let your imagination go wild!
I recreated Asian-Style Grilled Fish Tacos, created exclusively for NAKANO Rice Vinegar, and they were incredible! See below for the recipe! (photo and recipe credit: Dawn Jackson Blatner/NAKANO)
Asian-style Grilled Fish Tacos
To stay on track, NAKANO has partnered with registered dietitian nutritionist Dawn Jackson Blatner to provide tips for a healthier summer.
Eating healthy during the warmer months can be a challenge, but by starting small and making incremental changes to a current diet, a healthy lifestyle can be achieved.
For more info on this amazing and delicious Vinegar, visit Nakano on Facebook right here!
Below are tips from registered dietitian nutritionist Dawn Jackson Blatner.
1. Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated and keep skin looking its best. Plus, hydration is a secret weapon for staying focused and energized.
2. Drink green tea rather than sweet tea. Sweet tea has a lot of sugar and calories, which is the last thing you want weighing you down in the summer. Instead, drink unsweetened green tea which is full of healthy compounds, like catechins, that give your metabolism a boost.
3. Make smoothie pops. Drinking smoothies is all the rage, but in the summer, freeze your favorite fruit and veggie smoothies into popsicles for a wholesome and refreshing treat.
4. Snack smarter. Keep cut-up seasonal vegetables such as cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini and carrots in resealable containers for easy grab and go snacking. Splash on NAKANO Rice Vinegar to all of your veggies for a super flavor boost.
5. Stay balanced. Fill your plate with half veggies, a quarter lean protein and a quarter of whole grains for a balanced meal. This will keep energy levels up so you can enjoy more summer fun.
6. Grill fruit for dessert. When your sweet tooth needs a treat, grill seasonal fruits like peaches, plums and pineapple for dessert. The heat of the grill brings out even more of fruit’s natural sweetness.
7. Enjoy light, but flavorful meals. Check out Dawn’s recipe below for grilled fish tacos, created exclusively for NAKANO Rice Vinegar.
Asian-style Grilled Fish Tacos
Makes: 8 Tacos
3 tablespoons NAKANO Natural Rice Vinegar
2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
3 cups shredded cabbage (purple and/or Napa)
1 cup shredded carrot (3 carrots)
1/4 cup chopped green onions (3 green onions)
1/4 cup thinly sliced radish (2 radishes)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
8 corn tortillas, warmed
3/4 pound (12 ounces) white fish, grilled
1 avocado, sliced
In a large bowl, whisk NAKANO Rice Vinegar, tamari, honey and sesame oil. Add cabbage, carrots, green onions, radish, cilantro and toss to coat veggies.
Top warm tortillas with fish, slaw and avocado. Serve extra slaw on the side.
Time saver: Use 4 cups pre-shredded coleslaw mix instead of cabbage and carrots.
Nutrition information for 2 tacos (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 400 calories; 15 g fat (2.5g saturated fat); 50 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrate; 28 g protein; 8 g fiber; 440 mg sodium; 13 g sugar; 110% vitamin A, 70% vitamin C, 15% calcium, 15% iron