THE STORY OF SCORIA
“IT ALL STARTED WITH THIS QUESTION: WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR CREATIVITY AFTER GROWING UP?”
– YARA KAMAL, FOUNDER/ CEO
Founded & crowdfunded in 2017 on Kickstarter.
At Scoria we believe that reconnecting with lost creativity enhances our mental and physical well-being. We also believe that creativity must be embraced with kindness. We create products that encourage a youthful mindset such as playfulness, imagination, and story-telling. So, let’s rediscover who we were before the world told us who to be. #SparktheChildWithin
Don’t fret the sweat, embrace it. The Scoria Cork mat delivers supreme traction when sweating with no slip.
- Comes with Scoria’s mat carry strap
- Backed by natural tree rubber unlike other mats with synthetic TPE/PVC
- ultra-grip with sweat, lose the towel
- naturally anti-microbial cork surface eliminating odor
- sustainably harvested
- perfect for hot yoga, gentle yoga, meditation, stretching
- for a non-toxic home or practice
- Spray with water to activate sweat-grip in cold practices until body is warm.
- Backed by a 1 Year Limited Warranty ~ find details here
- Every mat sold = 10 meals donated to those in need
I’m Yara, I started Scoria after I became more aware of the indirect society pressure to succeed and fit in a world of systematic physical values. This pressure forced me to be what others wanted me to be and led me into a loophole of depression. One day it hit me, I knew it- Playfulness and my creative artist self has vanished from my life at 18. I knew I needed to get back to the first 18 years of my life. I went on to delving into research of children’s thinking and grown-up’s ways of thinking and I explored all the ways to reconnect with the behaviour of playfulness, activating imagination, the effort of creative-thinking and the appreciation for story-telling as a grown-up. Within 9 months of connecting with these behaviours, my mental state drastically improved and my health became so much better. Afterwards, I went on to dedicating the rest of my creative work to inspire wellbeing in a different way. I decided to dedicate my life to create a brand that carries pieces & future experiences that can serve as a reminder of a connection to the playful, creative & imaginative qualities we had when we were children.